Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Handiham World for 16 April 2008

Last night I had a chance to visit a radio club in my local area and give a talk about Handihams, my early years with Butternut Electronics, and grounding basics for vertical antennas. With all of those topics, you can bet I found plenty to talk about!

The interesting thing is that this particular radio club is sponsored in part by a large multinational corporation that is headquartered near my house here in Minnesota. To be a member of the club, you have to work for the company or be related to a person who works for the company. It is a bit different with this kind of a specialty radio club because the members obviously share a common employment experience. While this might seem somewhat limiting, the club members obviously worked well together and the club's ham shack was to die for! Besides, this club partnered with another local club every field day, and the other local club was open to general membership, so things really did not seem all that exclusive to me.