Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Handiham World for 08 April 2009

Welcome to Handiham World!

Free software tour: A free, easy to use, file recovery utility

Recova screenshotLast week we talked about XMLog. Today we introduce a great freeware file recovery utility called "Recuva".

I had been looking for a file recovery utility, and when I mentioned it last week, John, N1IWT, came to the rescue. He writes:

I wanted to mention a rather easy file recovery program I've been playing with. When I lost all of my data a few months ago, I had to search a discarded HD. I found a program called Recuva touted by the people who distribute CCleaner. The best part is that it's free and it works.

It recovered 1,000 files, some 10 yrs old! One word of warning: Don't allow it to "recover all" until you are used to it. Just do "manual only", otherwise it will recover even scraps. But it will tell you before you open a file whether it is good or bad.

Check it out.

73,
John N1IWT

Thanks, John. I love it when you guys do my research for me! Here is the overview from the Recuva website:

Recuva (pronounced "recover") is a freeware Windows utility to restore files that have been accidentally deleted from your computer. This includes files emptied from the Recycle bin as well as images and other files that have been deleted by user error from digital camera memory cards or MP3 players. It will even bring back files that have been deleted by bugs, crashes and viruses!

You can find Recuva online. (See the handiham website.)

Next week: I might as well tell you about the other utility John mentioned, and which I already use, CCleaner. It sort of does the opposite of Recuva, but more about that next week.

Patrick Tice, WA0TDA
Handiham Manager