Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 01 October 2014

Welcome to Handiham World.

Cartoon world with radio tower

What do you do when no one shows up for your class?
That's the situation I found myself in last week. I'd prepared to teach my assigned part of the General Class course and no one showed up. It was the second scheduled class, and the first instructor had reported the same thing the previous week, so I wasn't really that surprised.  It isn't the end of the world.  When I studied for my Novice license as a teen, it was all strictly do-it-yourself.  Once I passed Novice, I had to pump up my Morse code speed to 13 words per minute and also learn enough from my ARRL license manual to pass the exam given at the FCC office in St. Paul, MN, which was almost two hours drive from my home town.  And that was the days before the internet and on line question pools!  Most of us back then studied alone, working our way through the material and practicing code as best we could.  Having a class to go to would have been helpful, but it wasn't absolutely necessary.  I practiced my code on the air with my buddy Karl, WA0TFC, who is now a silent key.  Karl and I were both in the same radio club, and as you can tell from our pretty close callsign assignments, (TDA & TFC), we were licensed as Novices about the same time. Back then, on the air practice was expected - it was the purpose of having the Novice license, which was only good for a single year.  During that year, one was expected to study and pass the General or go off the air.