Welcome to Handiham World.
In this edition:
- Making science and technology interesting
- This week's question!
- Keep your smartphone safe.
- Check into our daily nets.
- Echotest is your friend. Really.
- Take a dip in the pool: PSK-31.
- The Amazon Echo®; Assistive Tech device?
- The Remote Base HF report
- ...And more!
What first tickled your interest in science?
For me science and radio went hand in hand when I was a kid. Growing up in the 1950s meant that broadcast radio was still a powerhouse of news, drama, and musical entertainment. Television was getting started in markets across the USA but the signals were hard to receive and there were not that many stations. The stations that we could receive with a rooftop antenna didn't even broadcast through the night. They would begin and end the broadcast day with a "test pattern" that was supposed to help you adjust the picture.